Tuesday, April 9, 2013

REVIEW: Julep Maven Subscription


I'm sure by now everyone, or almost everyone is familiar with the Julep Maven monthly subscription service. If you haven't i'll give you a small run down. For $19.99 a month, you can get a box with nail items, usually 2 polishes, and a product. There is also an option for all products, and all polishes. There is a few different style profiles to choose from to help determine which box would fit your personality best. The one thing I do like about this box is there is no "waiting list" like i've seen from other subscription box companies (ipsy, birchbox, etc.) Not to mention these are all full size products. No tiny little bottles of polish, or deluxe samples of products. For the price, I DO think it's a good deal.

I've been subscribed to Julep for a few months now, after getting my introductory box for .99cents! (I mean really, who could pass that up!) After taking the style profile quiz I had been placed in the Boho Chic style category, more on that later... I wasn't super impressed with my introductory box but for .99 cents, I couldn't really complain. I got a makeup bag, which I do actually like, 2 polishes, which I didn't really care for, and I believe a product. It's been months now I don't quite remember. I decided to stay on and get another box to see how I felt. I believe it might of been the October box.. Well I HATED it. Nothing in the box was my taste at all. It had your typical orange and blacks, some glitters and a crackle (once again, more on that later..) I gave it to a friend... One of the things i've heard, but I honestly haven't experienced yet is that is quite a bit difficult to cancel your maven subscription. Honestly, I constantly forget about my subscription till it's to late so I haven't tried to cancel yet myself. You do get a window to preview your style profile, and the others to see if you'd like to switch, or decided to skip that months box. I do believe it runs from the 20-24th of that month. They have a pretty nice "reward" program for different things, and you can redeem reward points on boxes, add-ons and products. If you do skip a months box however, you don't get those points they subtract them from your total. 

I'm gonna break down my Julep Maven subscription to you, and let you know what I think about this service, and whether i'd recommend this or not..

Polishes;
The polishes themselves are of good quality. Up there with OPI, and Essie. However they retail for $14 a piece on the Julep website, and Sephora. I personally don't like paying more then $10 for a polish. But sometimes if Butter London makes a color I covet for that price I will splurge. If your a fan of the formula of the Julep polishes then I definitely think the box is a great value since you do get 2 polishes for $19.99.

Color Selection/Trends;
Okay i'm kinda stuck in the middle on this.. I feel like sometimes they have they colors that I feel like I MUST HAVE... But I feel like those colors are always either split up amongst two different boxes and never ever in my style profile. That's where the add-on feature is nice. You can add on polishes you'd like for a small cost, or free using your Julep rewards points. I'm not sure exactly what the add-on price is as i've never done this before. But for some reason I believe it's $4.99 but don't quote me on that! As far as trends go, I think Julep is very very behind. I got crackles in a box, almost 2 years after they we're popular.. I also got a magnetic polish a little while after the craze. I feel like considering that Julep itself is actually a "nail salon" they would be a little more current on trends. 

Packaging;
The polishes themselves remind me of the Revlon super lustrous lip glosses. I found them impossible to store standing up in my Melmer. I now keep my polishes in a show organizer and have no issues with that. The tops of the bottles come with a "swatch me sticker" (newer bottles) which I don't quite understand how you are supposed to swatch the top of the brush but okay.. The packaging of the boxes itself I love. Everything can be re-used, considering some may find their packaging a bit much it's nice that you can re-use everything.

Shipping;
Personally I think the shipping takes forever, but I have no patience with shipping at all... You don't pay for shipping with the boxes. I have heard that any add-ons you purchase ship separately from your box, and may take additional time to receive. I'm not sure if you pay for shipping on these however.

Products;
I can't say i've ever been IN LOVE with any of the products I have received from Julep. It's mostly pedi items, or hand items. In March's box I did receive a hand cream that I was quite excited about only to use it and find out the scent made me sick to my stomach... This month I received a cuticle/nail therapy pen that I am excited about. We shall see how that turns out. I have heard some good things about other products that I haven't tried however.

Pros;
  • Good deal if your a big fan of the Julep formula. 2 polishes for $19.99, plus a product when 2 polishes alone at Sephora would cost you $28 +tax.
  • Swatch me sticker is kind of nice, if you keep all your polishes standing up in a drawer.. (If you can figure out how to swatch..)
  • Packaging can be re-used for gifts,swapping, etc.
  • Reward points are a nice perk to redeem on polishes you want that aren't in your box, or split amongst other boxes. Also can redeem points for free boxes.
  • Nice introductory offer. 
  • Offer mystery boxes/golden boxes which are a nice alternative.
  • Ability to add-on colors to your box for a discount instead of the $14 price tag.
  • Maven members get a discount in the Julep store.
Cons;
  • I personally feel like the shipping takes forever.
  • Not a huge fan of the style profiles.
  • I always forever to skip, or change my style profile and end up with colors I don't like.
  • Hard to cancel.
  • Seem to get a lot of repeat finishes/colors which can be quite annoying.
I'm still on the fence on whether or not I love Julep or not. I think the value is great, but I just haven't been WOWED by a box yet. I keep saying i'll "give it one more month" and I haven't tried to cancel yet. 

Offer codes.. COLOR2012 for a box for .01!
FREEBOX for a free box.

xO.

No comments:

Post a Comment